Downtown Clearwater is an area that has been designated as a National Historic District. It was built in the late 1800s and early 1900s to serve as downtown for the growing population of Clearwater. Some buildings, like City Hall, were constructed with materials from Tampa’s old courthouse when it was torn down around 1975-1976.
Clearwater’s first newspaper office opened in Downtown on July 17th, 1881. The building still stands today at 111 N Main Street near Galena Ave and Beacon Street across from Regions Bank.
The historic district contains over 250 structures which are listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places or identified as contributing properties within its boundaries.”
“It includes examples of Queen Anne Style architecture such as The Richardson Building and Clearwater City Hall, Florida Folk style buildings such as the Bank of Commerce building.