Nutley was formed in 1871 when three smaller towns were combined. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Lyndhurst NJ, and its boundaries are still recognized today as: Bloomfield Ave. on the southwest; Broad St., Park Ave., and Palisade Avenue to the northeast; Union Rd. (Bloomfield) on the southeast side of town; Belleville Turnpike to the northwest, including a small section south of it where Route 21 intersects with it via an overpass bridge at Wilson Street/Belleville Turnpike intersection.
The name Nutley came about because there was so much walnut timber that grew there from scrubby trees planted by early European settlers for shade or windbreaks around their houses.
There were many large estates and farms in the area, but by 1870 they began to be subdivided into residential plots. One of those estates became an important part of Nutley history: In 1895 Dr. John Sintzel bought 100 acres from Judge James Dikeman for $40,000 and built a magnificent home on what is now Passaic Avenue – at that time it was called Ashland Place because the street ran through his property. He named this estate “Woodlands” after he planted numerous trees there as well as fruit trees which still exist today in Lyndhurst NJ’s Union Hill section near Broad Street Extension eastwardly toward Bloomfield Ave.,
Today Nutley is a close-knit, residential town with many diverse neighborhoods.