Saugus MA has a suburban town center with neighborhoods that originated in the 19th century and expanded into the 20th century. The oldest neighborhood is East Saugus, which was first settled in 1847.
It began to be developed as an industrial area after 1865 when Hayden Paper Mills opened its doors. Other businesses followed suit, including New England Stove Works Company, for whom many of the workers lived within walking distance on land owned by company president George Loring Pratt.
The next major development took place at Town Center where construction projects were started before World War II and continued until 1960s mostly focusing on residential housing developments. Subsequent development occurred around Beechwood Square, on Beech Street and New England Highway.
Today Saugus MA Town Center has a population of over 23,000 that is forecasted to grow by nearly two-thirds in the next 15 years.